Triang Number 61


Described in the catalogue as 'A larger house with two large rooms and built-in garage. Metal-framed windows with curtains, tiled sun-porch and steps. Red tiled roof.’

It measures 19 inches [48 cm] wide by 11 inches [28 cms] deep and stands 17 inches [43 cms] high.

This one was in a sorry old state, not from neglect but from over enthusiastic refurbishment. Gloss paint and leary wallpaper didn't suit this proud old house and made it shine like a drunkard's nose. Apologies to whoever put so much effort into the work, but when we opened the doors the smell of paint and varnish fumes were like a slap in the face. I'd not let any child of mine play with it. The windows and garage door had unfortunately been replaced with Romside but there was nothing we could do about that. My aim was to let the poor house breathe again and remember its origins. Ok, so it will only ever be a ghost of its former self but at least we could make it recognisable as a Triang.

So, we carefully dismantled and began to remove the paint. The top layer was so shiny and resistant to gentle methods we had no option but to use paint stripper and sand it down - something we try not to do. A day later it was naked and begging to be dressed.


While my OH worked on the roof, I took charge of the painting. I have found that Cuprinol Garden Shades Country Cream exterior emulsion is almost the same shade as the original Triang. It takes a few coats but is hard wearing without being shiny or offensive to the nose. The back was removed (as was everything else) and I repapered with paper more appropriate to the era in which the house was made, somewhere between 1938-50s. I left the paper the previous owner had laid in the porch as part of the house's story.

The front of the base was painted sap green and a light low fragrance matt varnish applied to prolong its life. The gable was repaired, the roof replaced and it was time to repaint the iconic Triang floral decoration.

I try to get my houses as close to the original as I can but that doesn't mean I don't want our work to show. We want to become part of the house's history, its journey if you like. It took a bit of practice on old scraps of card until I finally came up with a way to reproduce the feel of the original. It isn't rocket science, it involves a scrunched up piece of tinfoil to paint the foliage, a few cotton buds selotaped together to form the flowers and a very light touch. This was my first attempt and I have since improved. I think she looks better for our attention, she can breathe now and so can anyone who looks inside. The matt paint is more in keeping, easier on the eye and I think she looks happier now.


We reinstalled the Romside windows and garage door, and she was good to go ... or stay perhaps in my collection. I am undecided.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hobbies 237 special - tudor style dollshouse

Triang number 63 - Chippenham House

Triang Number 24, previously known as number 41