Hobbies 186 special

 


I didn't have to do much to the exterior of this lovely Hobbies Special 186 as I love it just the way it is. It was a  bit a grubby and has obviously been played with  but it was unspoiled. All I had to do was clean it up a bit and disguise some discolouration on the roof and brick work. Inside was another matter but still didn't require a great deal of refurbishment.


The paper in the upper rooms was fine but downstairs seemed to be papered with wrapping paper from the 1990s. The floor is also quite stained but the paper intact so I decided to keep that and hide the worst of it with strategically placed rugs. I didnt like the open plan so decided to divide it into two rooms and add stairs. I played around for  quite a while and eventually opted to created stairs in a cupboard like my nan had in her house and not bother with an opening in the upstairs floor, the inhabitants will have to imagine that.


The house came with all the lovely 1940s furniture so I thought I'd make it a wartime house. I found a supplier on Etsy with some super 1940s style wall paper. I made the dividing wall from thick card and made a 1940s door. The wall is just wedged in place so if I ever part with the house the new owner can easily remove it.


I made a simple 1940s style fireplace, found some bits in my stash to dress the living room and kitchen, and while my husband created a lovely sink from clay, I made curtains to go underneath and some curtains for the bedrooms. The kitchen window still needs dressing.








The kids seem happy with their room. 'Stop jumping on the bed!'






and then, once they had all the needed inside, I made them a  netty/outhouse/loo and adjoined it to the outside wall.





I absolutely loved doing this house. It provided just the right scope for the imagination. I have yet to fix tape to the windows and made lounge curtains and black out curtains but there is time for that. The only negative is that as it is a back opener it is difficult to display. If I sit it on a shelf facing out into the room, you can't see inside and if I sit it the other way round, you cant see the front. I may have to devise a table on wheels or a 'lazy susan' type thing for it.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hobbies 237 special - tudor style dollshouse

Triang number 63 - Chippenham House

Triang Number 24, previously known as number 41