Lines DH 8 Devonshire House


This house dates from1924 -33 which I think, makes it my oldest house to date. It was in a  bit of a sorry state when I got it. The interior papers were torn, painted over and the fixtures had all been taken out.

Luckily, I am not a purist. I like to restore houses as close to the original as I can get them but I don't mind reproduction replacement parts. We made the dresser, the fireplaces and chimneys ourselves and from a distance you wouldn't know. 

I touched up the roof with matching paint. I didnt paste the walls but put the paper onto card and used double sided tape to fix it to the walls. I retained the piece of lino someone had placed in the left hand bedroom and kept the carpet on the stairs which was not original. I painted the hall because it wasn't possible to get my hand in far enough to repaper. I also kept the original floors in the downstairs rooms, the tatty bits don't show once the furniture is in. To tidy it up and give it an old timey feel I used vintage gimp trim to frame the rooms.
                       

I always try to keep what paper I can and replace with as close as I can obtain. We would never sell them on and try to pass them off as original condition, I doubt we could fool many people even if we wanted to. For me, it is satisfying to give the house another hundred years of life, rather than see it go to the tip.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hobbies 237 special - tudor style dollshouse

Triang number 63 - Chippenham House

Triang Number 24, previously known as number 41